A Blog About:

embracing bad t.v. and turning what is most likely a vice into a blog-tastic virtue

9.16.2008

The Meaning of Thirty Year War

I was driving home from my miserable job, thinking about turning 30, and wondering what the story of my life would be titled if it were written now.  In a flash, I thought "Thirty Year War."  What a perfect way to describe the trials and tribulations of the last thirty years of my life.  In fact, as I turned the pivotal 29 and began reflecting on my life in anticipation of the "Big 3-0," I made a list of not-quite-30 things I'd like to accomplish before I actually turn 30.  

Well, I wrote a little list, tucked it away in a box somewhere, and basically never looked at it over the last year.  I'm pretty sure I accomplished one thing - to buy a house - but I cheated. I added it to the list after it was clear it was going to  happen.

I thought I would explore the other goals I had in an effort to get back on track as I stare down the last month of my 20's and look toward my impending old age. (For what it's worth, despite any remarks about getting old, I am actually embracing my 30th birthday.  I am constantly told I look 14, which can be insulting to a professional woman, so I look forward to combating such attacks with revealing my real age.)

So, the 1st goal I am exploring: to acquire a non- or low-toxic beauty regime.  Read about the cosmetic industry in the Environmental Working Group's Cosmetic Database.  The government doesn't regulate what goes into the products we slather on our bodies every day - which means we all can be spreading cancer onto our cheekbones and hands on a daily basis.  The Cosmetics Database includes a slew of products and ranks them on a scale of 0 to 10 - 0 being the lowest toxicity and 10 being the highest.  It doesn't have every product, but it also goes through ingredients alone, so given enough down time, one could feasibly check out her own products.   

I've picked up a couple of things from the list over the year, but I'm still stuck on some products of questionable toxicity.  I've got a shopping list, though, of products I intend to find to get a low-toxic beauty regime.

God help me if this Database is all a rouse...

I'll update my progress in upcoming posts.

1 comment:

Da Fashionista said...

great idea. i want in. report back soon.

p.s. watching that rachel zoe is like the most fear inducing thing ever. her wrinkles made me slather up my face last night to the point i thought i might slide off the bed during the night. ugh.