A Blog About:

embracing bad t.v. and turning what is most likely a vice into a blog-tastic virtue

9.22.2008

Low-Toxic Product of the Week

In a previous post I mentioned that one of my goals is to develop a low-toxic skincare regime based largely on information compiled in the Environmental Working Group's cosmetics database. Our government does not regulate the ingredients that go into your daily skincare products (shampoos, lotions, makeup, etc.) ~ in other words, nobody's making sure that ingredients known to be carcinogenic or known to cause birth defects stay out of your products.

Instead, it seems like everyone is making sure that we want to use more and more products.   If I embraced my feminist instincts, I might think it's the man trying to keep women strapped in debt from purchasing too many things we don't need ~ in fact, purchasing things that are downright bad for us.

On a lighter note, I thought I would highlight a product each week I have found that ranks low on the toxic scale.  And, if you know my miserly ways, it probably ranks low on the cost scale, too.  

My cat Elsa also cares about using healthy products.  Our first recommendation is Burt's Bees Rosewater & Glycerin Toner.

It scored a "1" (low hazard) on a scale of 1 to 10 in the Cosmetics Database (10 being the most hazardous).

At about $12.00 per bottle (8 fl. oz.), on my 1 to 10 scale of cost 
(1 being a steal, 10 being outrageous), I would score this a "6."


2 comments:

Da Fashionista said...

i could eat your cat alive. those paws!

please review the kate hudson line o hair products...

amy said...

she is right now playing inside a cardboard box full of books. she just did a somersault trying to pull something out. i only wish there was some way i could get paid to stay at home and stare at her all day.

now she's trying to get her tail...

can you believe she was stuck in a foster home for over 6 months? her paws make her a "hemingway cat" because someone gave hemingway a polydactyl (the official term) cat in Key West. now his home/museum down there is home to many wandering polydactyl kitties. i saw another one at the same shelter where we got elsa. her name is ellie. i REALLY want her!