A Blog About:

embracing bad t.v. and turning what is most likely a vice into a blog-tastic virtue

1.05.2009

T.G.I.W.

In light of my obvious inability to keep up with The Hills discussion, I resolve to start 2009 by steadfastly reporting on The City.  It's also part of global changes I am making to my blog that you will slowly see...  Including more trashy t.v.!  Yes, yes - the guilty pleasures I love I won't hide any longer.  I'm pretty sure my t.v. watching is on par with a lonely, awkward 15-year-old girl - which seems to be the target audience of the shows I watch judging by the cleverly placed advertising.  But more on that later.

Ah, The City.  Thank God It's Whitney.  Let's start with the first episode, "If She Can Make It Here..."

Recap:  So, Whitney "gave up everything" to move to NYC and pursue not only a job at DVF but also an Australian hunk named Jay.  She has a "downtown" friend Erin and a "social" (because when you have too much money, you can drop the last syllable of words with reckless abandon) co-worker named Olivia.  She rocks at her first fashion show during fashion week, spends time with Jay, and attends a dinner party organized by Olivia. 

Commentary:  OK, surely you can tell that I love Whitney.  I think she is poised, intelligent, and stunning.  Overall, a great role model for young women.  But the first I don't know how many seconds of the opening episode are devoted to Whitney scripting an intro in which she repeatedly reminds us how much she gave up.  Really?  If she hadn't belabored the point, perhaps it would be no big deal, but honestly, how are you really giving up "everything" when you take a job that is advancing your career?  Whatevs...

Luckily, they quickly moved on to show Whitney in a crazy yellow dress on her first day of work.  One word describes her outfit: yowza.  The construction workers she passed on her way to the office agree.  Makes me regret not taking full advantage of my skinny days in a get-up like that.

However, seeing the daunting and dangerous staircase at DVF does not make me regret living a more down-to-earth lifestyle.  DVF must be one sadistic lady to force fashionistas inevitably wearing insanely high heels to strut up and down that maniacal set of stairs.  My feet hurt just thinking of it.

And what's up with Olivia?  I can't tell if she really is an obnoxious snob, or if MTV just wants me to think she is.  I lean toward the former when I recall how she cut everyone off at her dinner party to ask Whitney why Jay was not there.  What would she say?  "Um, well, I think he's worried we're spending too much time together, but what he really said was that you're a bitch."

But was that Veuve Cliquot in his hands when he did arrive to the party after all?  Mmm...

 






2 comments:

Kimesunshine said...

I'm so glad that there is someone else who enjoys this adolescent tv still! I'm not sure about Olivia either. We will see! Hope all is well with you! Kim

Da Fashionista said...

frank calls olivia oliver. and he dances to the intro music. hahhaha!